Thread: More Dice

Kickstarter Backer

More Dice

I though I should post this here, I already put this on the Kickstarter site and the thread I started here has kind of evolved away from the Dice issue. I am still pissed about this as I think this is a fundamental change and so much of change from the game I backed on kickstarter due to the game I saw and bought into in the videos.

William

Ok trying to be have a more coherent response to what I see as a disaster in the making for you.

First your rules are quite interesting in the momentum and some of the other things are quite unique and bring a breath of fresh air into the Fantasy genre.

Now the figures are fantastic a little old school but still I love them, the buildings are without question the best/most creative on the market.

Now the change from the custom dice to the 5 different colored d6, I will try to take this step by set as I see it.
    First the idea of the five different colored dice each with a different critical success number does indeed create 5 levels of play but to what end? Is there need for this amount of nuance with the limited range of a d6 can this not be easier and more coherently shown with different die type as the originale game showed. You can assume that most people who try the game are not going to know or be willing to memorize the colors and what they mean, this will also apply to those of us who look at this is as just one of many games we play. Every time I come back to this game and it might be once a year for 5 to 6 games and I think that is pretty average for most gamers, I have to rethink the colors. It is just not going to happen most players will not be willing to jump into a game that has this complicated die resolution, in an area of the game that should not be that complicated. Your rules shine in other aspects the momentum rules and the mixture of abilities with the cards. You are making it too hard to get into the game.
    The alternative which you had and probably most us bought into. For example I waited until I saw a number of the videos showing the game being played until I committed to the kickstarter.
    So initially you just had to look at the ability/card and then roll that color/die type and then add together the success, critical success etc you had, not first separate the colors then remember what a success is for that color then add them up, too much work.

You are trying to enter a market that is swamped by simple games that rely on d6 rolls, and not much original (I know there are some out there) content. You had an original game with lots of innovative ideas to handle different aspects of fantasy combat/magic etc and then you bog it down with multiple colored d6s each with a different success number. It is not going to fly, either you make a better simple game with simple d6 mechanics or you create something unique, this you had both in the mechanics of the game and the resolution of the combat/etc with die that made your fairly complicated system easy. The d6 just make it harder to get into the system, and I predict it will die as a commercial venture, and firmly believe that most of the 400+ backers you had where drawn to it due to the unique mechanics and the clever use of the different die.

So go back to the white d6, blue d8 and red d10 simple, easy to see the result of the roll.

I made my own custom colored dice. Blank miss, line hit, cross critical.

as have i, dead easy to do just find a source of blank d6 onlineName:  WP_20180310_22_50_01_Rich.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  70.2 KBName:  cut vinyl.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  88.6 KB

Think the custom marked dice is probably the way forwards (but still prefer the original system). Many games use different dice, the only one that doesn't (and springs to mind) is for the GW systems (and even Necromunda now has custom dice). Please rethink it, the original system seemed a lot more intuitive and the different dice gave different percentages of success with greater fidelity (rather than the base 16.5% you get with a D6).

Kickstarter Backer
    Absolutly right, please rethink the dice system or offer both systems of dice.

All i can say is play the new system, having played both i know which i prefer, the new d6 not only flows a lot better, is quicker to pick up, and utterly fool proof once you have the levels/colours and success to hit levels in your head (or make you own as i and others have, and dont even have to remember anything!).

Frankly i don't see the big deal over the change, other than some pictures are outdated on the KS page although if you only backed to get some D8's and D12's there are cheaper ways of buying polyhedral dice, that or people were really looking forward to writing some slightly harder equations into their mathhammer spreadsheets (its not really that sort of game anyway )...., it hasn't broken anything, it has simplified the pick up and play aspect and its made the cards and associated dice buffs and nerfs easier to read and has added a fair bit of nuance and finer grained leveling to the legacy aspect of the game....

Kickstarter Backer
    Quote Originally Posted by wkeyser View Post
    ... The d6 just make it harder to get into the system, and I predict it will die as a commercial venture, and firmly believe that most of the 400+ backers you had where drawn to it due to the unique mechanics and the clever use of the different die.

So go back to the white d6, blue d8 and red d10 simple, easy to see the result of the roll.

I second this view. A big draw for me was the game not being yet another D6 based skirmish game. Had I known during the Kickstarter, I wouldn't have backed.

Initiate
    I too liked the simplicity of the original system. It was the main attraction and reason for backing. Bogging it down with multiple D6s in varying colours for no apparent gain? Would I have been as enthused about another "bucket o dice" game...I don't think so.
    Last edited by Jason O' Mahony; 04-27-2018 at 06:51 AM.

I have played both versions and I can honestly say that I prefer the new system.

I've played plenty of games that use different dice, D8s, D10s, D20s or even a mix of loads of dice and I'm baffled by why people seem to be so upset. Using polyhedral dice wasn't the thing that made this game different or new. If you were only buying this game for it's dice system I think you might want to take another look at the models, the art work, the amazing world they've built and all the stuff we're getting from the stretch goals. The mechanics have been changed slightly as the game moved from Alpha to Beta. I played the Alpha. It was good but complex. I've played the Beta. It's much smoother and easier to pick up but still has the depth of the Alpha. It still needs some tweaking but the D6 version is better.

I absolutelly and 100% agree with Stu here.