Thread: Hints, Tips & Question About the Latest Terrain From the Kickstarter

Kickstarter Backer Paul Richardson's Avatar

Hints, Tips & Question About the Latest Terrain From the Kickstarter

Langaholm Boathouse

I like this kit alot - possibly because its the only thatched roof building I currently own.

This is the first building when it came to put the put the decking on it was easier to turn the ground floor upside down, place the dock pilings upside down and get it square before glueing on the decking.

I had to sand some of the window sills to get the to fit so I would do a dry fit to check.

The fixings that hold the barricades across the doors I found easier to fit with the walls flat prior putting it all together.

Piece 72 in my kit had the notches the wrong way round so one hole was too big and one was too small - easy enough to fix by cutting the right amount from the larger notch.

When fitting pieces 78 and 79 I also fitted piece 100 to get the alignment of 78 and 79 correct.

Page 4 piece 68 is only give a quick mention in picture 17 with an arrow that I missed it the first time through the instructions and had to figure out where it went.

Page 5 picture 23 on the wall with the shorter section of the windows pieces 82 and 83 are indicated the wrong way round.

Pieces 90 and 91 need trimming to make them fit but make sure the verticals line up with the window frame before cutting them to size.

Broggenbridge

Again because of the difficulty of getting my hands into the corners I found fitting the pieces DR1 (for holding barricades) easier with the wall flat.

I also find fitting the door lintel (example DR5) into the door frame (example DR2) prior to glueing the door frame to the wall and inserting the door at the same time.

Page 2 Picture 16 the ladder is A26 not A23.

Beast Wagon

Don't do what I did and had to take it carefully apart - the horizontal parts of the cage are not symmetrical you need to make sure you have them the right way round. I had to carefully take it apart when I realised what I had done.

And I need to learn patience waiting for glue to dry when sticking the magnets down - I kept putting the two pieces together and then having one magnet come unglued.

Baggage Train

On the cart that has the doors for holding the money to pay the sell swords (the 2nd one you build) there's nothing for the doors to rest on when they shut so mine would with a slight bit of force fall open inwards. So I cut some small pieces and stuff them on the back of one of the edge on the inside so that they doors would have something to rest on when closed. I would do this prior to making the enclosed space it was fiddly to do it when the only access was through a small hole.

Wayside Shrines

Only a couple of small typoes in the instructions

Page 1 Image 14 pieces labelled as 2 and 3 are actually 6 and 8.

Page 2 Image 2 piece labelled as 2 is actually 3.

Treasure Chest

These look really nice and shiny when built!

But page 1 has you building the lid vertically I found it easier to build it with the lid the right way up not on its side.

Pieces I and J were marked the wrong way round in the instructions.

Tueden League Windmill

I am really looking forward to having this complete and set up on a table.

There's only one small typo on page 3 picture 13 and 14 the windows are labelled as WD2 but they are actually WD3.

However I am missing a page of the instructions (I have pages 1-4) and whilst I can see how some of the rest goes together I don't want to put what I can work out together in case I do it in the wrong order and it means its really difficult to fit the other pieces. Can someone upload the instructions?

Cheers

Paul

Kickstarter Backer
    Useful advice as ever. Thank you once again for being our Iranian mine detector.
    Amusingly I am thinking of shingling the boathouse roof to match everything else. I think it will be worth doing but I am not looking forward to doing it.

I was wondering about shingling the lonely tower roof. I am still undecided - if you do the boathouse can you post a picture - that might convince me.

Tueden League Windmill

The only change I had to make was the addition of a spacer identical in shape and size to Q4 but between it and the sails to get the sails slightly further away from the building - one of my sails was catching the windmill near the bottom. But there's plenty of space on the mdf to use Q4 as a template and then cut one out.

Kickstarter Backer
    I am thinking of doing the tower as well, well basically almost everything. The tricky bits will be where the different facets meet. I should dig out their North American blockhouse to see how I did its roof as it is similar if less complicated. The 'easy' way is to use cocktail sticks of something similar as this works for roof ridges, I suspect it might be easier to glue these down and work up to them though a bit of work with a fine saw might allow them to be added afterwards. The problem with the tower is that it should not look too nice, it should be a bit rough and ready.
    The one piece I am thinking of thatching is the shamans hut. In the past I always used toweling but a couple of their Japanese models have worked quite well with the teddy bear fur. I had intended to buy some but I found a piece of it yesterday.