Thread: 28mm horses / beasts of burden

Kickstarter Backer Paul Richardson's Avatar

28mm horses / beasts of burden

Due to the latest delivery of nice new shiny terrain I have a stables and numerous carts. What miniatures do people recommend for horses or other animals to pull the carts / wagons etc?

Paul

Kickstarter Backer
    Warbases does a good selection of draft animals as do Front Rank figures.
    The bit that puzzles me is attaching the horse, horses or oxen to the cart or wagon. I know my maternal grandfather could do this as he ploughed with a horse so my uncles probably know but I might cheat and drill into the horse (something you could not do in 1:1 scale) and pin it though my usual solution of magnets may not help here, it might come down to thread and fine chain.
    Then you probably need to base the horse and cart together. Maybe just setting the horse in place will do? You can see why I bought some draft animals and why they are still in a drawer.

I just "cheated" and used a drill on the draft animals to glue a "bar" between the two (I then simply rest the "arm" of the cart on the bar between the animals). Usually most of the tack comes sculpted on (esp if its an horse), and although there's a lot more to add it's only practicable if you intend to permanently model the cart and draft animals together. In my case the two draft animals were based together, but the cart left on it's own base (I wanted to base the carts to increase their structural strength as a "gaming piece"). I did add a "foot" near where the front axle sits (if its got two axles) painted black, the front axle is left loose to allow easier storage/transport (as the arm of the front axle extends beyond the base I didn't want to glue it in place as that arm would become very prone to snapping), and is fixed in place with the supplied magnets.

The two wheel carts I've not built yet, but I'm not sure about basing them. But I'll probably add two bars either side of the horse to rest the arms on. OR just base the carts sans draft animals as permanently at rest (again its all about keeping it in one piece as gaming terrain. But I would say its essential to base them as the MDF is a little thinner than I would like (but then the carts wouldn't look right with thicker MDF).

Kickstarter Backer
    Thank you. Horse meet drill...
    Yes, the wheels especially seem to be potentially quite fragile but that is true of all the wagons and carts I have seen from perhaps four different manufacturers.
    What I do try to add to wagons is a tilt. I use the heaviest gauge of paper I can find, cut it to fit over the hoops, crumple it up, flatten it out ang glue it on then brush with diluted PVA then when dry more coats of PVA. I am not sure how or whether to add a back and front to it but that would allow me to leave the hoops solid by gluing in the 'sprue' within them for a lot more strength but to try this I need to buy some more wagons! Though I could glue some card on to each hoop, this might be worth a go. Instead of paper I have some sheet for skinning model aircraft and some material from long dried up screen wipes but I can test these on some market stalls. The best thing about an enclosed tilt is that I can just go ahead and add it, I don't need to wait until the wagon is painted inside at leasr or eorry about a cargo.

Kickstarter Backer Paul Richardson's Avatar
    Klingsor - Thanks I have ordered a couple of horses and a couple of oxen from front rank. I’ll have a think about how to attach them once I’ve got them.

Kickstarter Backer
    I will be keen to hear how you get on. I wonder if a 'hook' on either side of the horse to hold the arms of the cart (or whatever they are called, where is my Shires book on carts?) Is the best approach so basically as you suggested.

Hello,

We also sell these;

https://www.4ground.co.uk/28mm-draft-oxen
    Thanks,
    Luke (Lurkio),
    Senior Laser Technician / Community Manager / Production Manager

Kickstarter Backer
    Ohh!
    I could use them.